Prince Harry’s Bold Move! Despite security risks, he’s all in for Invictus Games UK!

The Duke looked ahead to the 2027 event in Birmingham as he brought the 2025 Games to a close on Sunday night

The Duke of Sussex has said “bring on” the next Invictus Games in the UK despite the security challenges it will present for him and his family.

Speaking at the closing ceremony of the Games in Vancouver, the Duke, 40,

told a crowd of 20,000 at the Rogers Stadium “the Games will go on” as he looked ahead to the 2027 event in Birmingham.

The prospect of the Games returning to the UK for the first time since its inception raises questions about whether the Duke and Duchess will return to their former home, potentially with their two children, Prince Archie, five, and Princess Lilibet, three, after leaving the UK in 2020.

Security remains a concern for the Duke after he lost a High Court challenge last year over his right to state-funded police protection in the UK. Unless he can overturn the ruling, he is understood to feel it is too dangerous to bring his wife or children to the UK, telling an ITV documentary, Tabloids on Trial, last year that he feared a knife or acid attack.

But the Duke appeared to show no signs of concern as he brought the 2025 Games to a close on Sunday night after nine days of competition for wounded, injured and sick veterans.

The Duke of Sussex during the closing ceremony
The Duke of Sussex during the closing ceremony Credit: Reuters

He said: “So long as our brothers and sisters are striving to heal and grow, the Games will go on. So long as there are those around the world who view you with sympathy, rather than admiration and respect, the Games will go on.

“And so long as the challenges around us demand it and require it, the Games will go on. Bring on Invictus Birmingham 2027.”

It also remains to be seen whether other working royals will be present for the Birmingham Games, as they were in 2014, when the then Prince Charles, the Duchess of Cornwall and Prince William all joined the Duke for the opening ceremony.

Prince Harry posed with a dog during the Invictus Games
Prince Harry posed with a dog Credit: Reuters

The Duke returned to the UK at least four times last year, but was not joined by his wife or children for any of the trips.

He briefly visited his father in February after Buckingham Palace announced that the King had been diagnosed with cancer. He opted to stay at a hotel on that trip, with sources citing security concerns because of the public entrances and exits at the palace.

He is currently required to give 30 days notice of his travel plans so that each visit may be assessed on its merits.

The Duke revealed this week he wanted Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet to attend future Games, but did not comment on whether they would come to Birmingham, saying “right now, they’re still young”.

“I’d love for them to experience the Invictus spirit first-hand one day,” he told Town & Country, an American lifestyle magazine.

“Right now, they’re still young, but we already talk about the importance of resilience, community, and service – everything Invictus represents.”

At the ceremony, the Royal British Legion’s Team UK Captains, Stephen “Hoops” Hooper, Neil Thomas and Gemma Barnes received the Invictus Games Foundation flag to signify the handover of the Games to Birmingham.

Prince Harry and Trudeau embraced while attending the indoor rowing competition
Prince Harry and Trudeau embraced while attending the indoor rowing competition Credit: The Canadian Press

Justin Trudeau, the Canadian prime minister, paid tribute to the Duke, telling him “you have changed the lives of so many people for the better and we all owe you the deepest debt”.

The speech by Mr Trudeau, 53, who announced his resignation last month after nine years in power, prompted tears from the Duke and a standing ovation from the crowd.

Earlier in the day, Mr Trudeau had sat with the Duke in the stands to watch the indoor rowing finals, the final event of the Games.

The closing ceremony also featured performances by rapper Jelly Roll, Canadian singer Marie-Mai, and the rock band Barenaked Ladies.

Related articles

Nike and the Indiana Fever just pulled off the biggest surprise in sports marketing history. They secretly planned an unprecedented launch for Caitlin Clark’s new luxury-inspired clothing line, gifting it to every single fan in the arena. This changes everything. …

Nike and Indiana Fever’s Unprecedented Marketing Gamble Shakes Up the Industry with Surprise Caitlin Clark Clothing Line Launch In a move that has sent shockwaves through the…

Career on the Line: WNBA Legend Lisa Leslie’s Dire Warning to Caitlin Clark Creates a High-Stakes Dilemma for the Indiana Fever’s Playoff Hopes

In the world of professional sports, the line between heroic comeback and career-ending tragedy is terrifyingly thin. For the Indiana Fever and their superstar rookie Caitlin Clark,…

One Fiery Performance in a Raging Inferno: Lexi Hull’s Career Night Can’t Hide the Catastrophe Engulfing the Indiana Fever

There are moments in sports that feel like a perfect, fleeting dream, and then there’s the harsh, inevitable awakening. For one half of basketball, the Indiana Fever…

Lexie Hull SPILLS the Truth: How Caitlin Clark UNEXPECTEDLY SAVED Her WNBA Career – The Shocking Story Behind Their Powerful Bond!

For professional athletes, careers can turn on a dime. A missed shot, a confidence slump, or even intense competition for a roster spot can threaten years of…

Sophie Cunningham’s Family ERUPTS in Drama with SHOCKING LAWSUIT Against Bria Hartley & WNBA – What’s Behind the Legal Battle?

Sophie Cunningham Family EXPLODES With LAWSUIT Against Bria Hartley & WNBA! The WNBA is reeling this week from a legal bombshell that few saw coming. In a…

The Betrayal That Forged a Team: How Sophie Cunningham’s Courage Exposed a Star’s Deceit and Unified the Indiana Fever

In the world of professional sports, there are unwritten rules that form the bedrock of a team’s culture: communicate, show respect, and never abandon your teammates. Veteran…